Many people ask me how I can afford these great holidays.. well to be honest- I work my ass off! I am however, really good at saving and budgeting. I think my business background and stinge-o-meter comes from my Father, who has run many businesses in his years. So this is how I would work out my basic budget based on a 10 day holiday to Phuket.
1. I get my airfare, hotel and transit (hotel pick up/drop off) prices together
$600 Flights, $400 Hotel, $55 transits
2. Visa costs established (might need to get prior- check with embassy!)
3. I look into any day trips I might want to book or do while away- I usually book these in advance so I have a confirmation printed out
$240 for a day trip to Phi Phi Island, $65 Zoo Tour
4. I set aside food costs
$20 a day for lunch/dinner- breaky is included in hotel?
$20 x 10 days
5. I figure out what the local prices are for basic goods and souvenirs (trip advisors, travel books and blogs!) and I set aside Taxi/Bus expenses
Taxi/Buses= $5 a ride- two a day
6. I think about how much I want to buy while I am away- Is it for a shopping trip? Is it a relaxing-by-the-pool time?
Party Holiday- cocktails daily etc= $50 a day
Shopping= $1000 worth of stuff
7. I calculate this all up…..
= $ 3720