My family knows me as the bargaining expert. Here are some tips to get a decent price and quality product!
- Start much lower then they would ever expect! I almost make a joke out of it… Smile and say NO NO just 1 dollar Australian! they will have a laugh and you will break the ice. The average rule is half the amount they suggest and work your way from there… well I say go 25% at least- you will be surprised how many times they have gone straight down to half the original price!
- Don’t be afraid to stand your ground. If you know you can get the deal somewhere else- say NO, move on and you can always come back later!
- Try and stay away from bartering next to other tourists in the shop. This intimidates the shop keeper and will tend to lead to a higher price as they know most people don’t drive hard bargains and will take the higher prices.
- Keep smiling! As soon as you frown or have a negative tone, you will loose the deal. Stay smiley and giggly and they will tend to assure you its the best possible price.
- Don’t be afraid to use the ‘The other guy had them for $4!!”. Works all the time.
- Don’t fall for the ‘it’s real leather!”… news flash you on a street covered in dirt and the shop has no walls… its not leather. Laugh kindly and say ‘no it isn’t-cheeky!!!’ They will love it and will usually just say, ‘oh you got me’.
- Learn the shop keepers names, they will ALWAYS remember yours.